|Position||Legal Counsel & Business Partner|
|Required Experience||5-8 Years|
|CTC||Best in the Industry|
|Posted On||01 Mar 2023|
|Application Deadline||22 Apr 2023|
business partnering, legal counsel,legal documentation,legal advisory
Position Name: Senior Manager – Legal Counsel
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: This position is responsible for partnering with the manufacturing units on all regulatory matters with special emphasis on state excise advisory, planning, dispute management and ensuring compliance excellence. S/He partners with manufacturing units, tax teams and external counsels in carrying out his or her responsibilities. This includes management of external counsel to drive productivity and reviewing notices, disputed matters and charting the best approach to respond to such matters. This role will be the first and sole point of contact for all manufacturing units for all regulatory matters.
TYPICAL ROLE REQUIREMENTS
Qualification: • Law degree from a reputed law school/university in India.
Experience: • 05-08 years’ post qualification experience in handling manufacturing regulatory matters. A pre-existing knowledge of excise related matters will give a candidate an edge.
Knowledge and skills:
• Technical knowledge of the regulatory landscape applicable to manufacturing units in states such as legal metrology, pollution control etc.
• A pre-existing knowledge of state excise Acts and Rules would be preferred.
• Strong knowledge of international anti-bribery legislation (US and UK) and ensuring complete adherence to their provisions.
• Experience in business partnering to senior executives, demonstrating the ability and desire to provide pro-active, pragmatic advice in furtherance of the business agenda.
• Demonstrated ability to navigate in legal environments where laws can be unclear and judicial system not robust and/or negative.
Experience in handling disputed matters across various jurisdictions in India; able to assess the need for and coordinate with external counsel, work remotely stakeholders in multiple locations across India and build strong partnering relationships.
Complete and independent ownership of critical matters and deliver effective results for the Company.
To consistently deliver great performance through brilliant execution and being thorough and applying a high standard at workplace.
Best suited for someone who
• Has a strong commercial focus and an ability to influence key stakeholders
• Can multitask and likes to do an advisory role
• Is tactful in dealing with sensitive matters and working with a large range of stakeholders
• Can identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
• Has strong communication and presentation skills
• Organised and structured in his/ her approach in handling work
• Act as a model for ethics and compliance, contributes to Diageo building our reputation as one of the most trusted and respected companies.
• Travel at a short notice (post pandemic restrictions easing) to manage notices/ complaints/ authorities/ disputed matters
• High level of professionalism, integrity and commitment.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY PERFORMANCE MEASURES (QUANTITATIVE / QUALITATIVE)
1. Business partnering
• Partnering with 50+ manufacturing units on all regulatory matters with primary emphasis on state excise
• Provide seamless experience to manufacturing units on all regulatory matters whilst directly handling legal matters and fielding taxation matters to the tax department and effectively working and coordinating to deliver final work product to manufacturing units
• Update to business on changes in regulations affecting Manufacturing specifically state excise laws, legal metrology, Consumer Protection and the like
• Lead/support legal activities, to grow and protect US reputation and business interests whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant laws and regulations
• Ensure that transaction risk (in the underlying business and in the negotiated documents) is contractually mitigated as far as possible to protect USL and that any remaining risk is understood by all relevant stakeholders
• Develop standardized processes, incorporating best practices from the industry, and templates for the efficient and effective delivery of legal services and business operations partnering with the various functions as appropriate
• Support initiatives in identification and interpretation of applicable and changing laws and regulations in all areas of business activity, and provide support for crisis management and taxation changes.
2. Legal Documentation and Advisory
• Analyse, research and prepare documentation and provide strategic advice on a range of legal and regulatory issues (including excise laws, commercial and contract law, health safety and environment, food safety, pollution control, legal metrology, customs, compliance and the like)
• Draft, review and negotiate various legal documentation like contracts, notices, plaints, affidavits, communications to regulatory authorities and the like
• Act as a Project Manager for the show cause notices and disputed matters and ensure effective tracking of the matters with regular and timely updates to stakeholders
• Assess the merits of a case and identify the alternatives; engage stakeholders to understand and own the likely outcomes of claims.
• Reason with stakeholders to help them understand and endorse the way forward as well as using appropriate external lawyers whenever
3. Leadership Responsibilities:
• Being authentic - standing up for what you feel is right and important; demonstrating high integrity and being honest, open and inclusive at all times. Effectively building trusting relationships and motivating others to achieve common objectives.
• Being a solution generator – thinking in the future, anticipating trends and opportunities, being imaginative in finding business solutions and driving opportunities; develops and applies a great understanding of the business to your work.
• Demonstrate willingness to grow/ develop and be open to receiving feedback.