The Role : Data Scientist
In this role you will look to play a key role in assisting
the design, development, implementation of new technological advancements aligning with the Platts
Tech strategy. This role will closely work with a team of Data Analysts and Data Scientists in
implementing various analytical solutions, automating workflows; also execute and support the legacy
as well as the next generation advanced Data platforms.
The Impact: This role has a core impact to our data science and modelling group responsible for
enriching datasets and adding value to our analytics content through close collaboration with onsite
teams and deliver Analytics data and modelling objectives. In this role you will gain a strong
understanding of various commodities and Platts Analytics businesses to design and implement
advanced strategic solutions and migrate the legacy processes into new technologies that enable data
governance, automation, data quality monitoring and maintenance.
The Opportunities: Data is at the core of all our products and strategy. A successful candidate with
strong understanding of various commodities data from an analytical and technical point of view; and be
able to implement the next generation analytical solutions aligning with the strategy, can open business
expansion opportunities from various segments of the organisation. An individual who can excel at this
role will be known throughout numerous leadership teams – allowing for many opportunities of growth.
The Team: Reporting to Head of India Analytics and collaborate closely with wider data science and
modelling group, content teams and various stake holders. The successful and dynamic candidate will
expand collaboration with cross functional teams and build and maintain data processes for the future
ensuring integrity of our Analytics content and data flows.
What We’re Looking For: We are looking for a process orientated, methodological thinker with a keen
eye for detail, who has proven experience working and leading structured workflows leveraging Data
• To work closely with various stakeholders to collect, clean, model and visualise datasets.
• To create data regression models, using predictive data modelling and analysing data mining
algorithms to deliver insights and implement action-oriented solutions to complex business
• To extract hidden value insights and enrich accuracy of the datasets.
• To leverage technology and automate workflows creating modernized operational processes
aligning with the team strategy.
• To understand, implement, manage and maintain analytical solutions & techniques
• To be strongly able to adjust the team processes quickly and best serve the project needs.
• To establish high performing, globally integrated and innovative mindset in the team culture
• To collaborate and coordinate with Data, content and modelling teams and provide analytical
assistance of various commodity datasets
• To be able to execute with discipline and deliver appropriate documentation
• To drive and maintain high quality processes and delivering projects in collaborative Agile team
• University degree in Petroleum Engineering, Chemical, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Data science and related disciplines
• Ability to do research, identify, analyse data enrichments and presenting findings
• Demonstrated ability to create and deliver creative solutions and automated workflows
• Experience of working on end-to-end data science pipelines: problem scoping, data
gathering, EDA, modelling, insights, visualizations, monitoring and maintenance
• Strong experience working with various Data Science capabilities
• Experience with data automation using analytics skills like Python programming, Machine
• Strong communications to build a constructive working relationship with various technology
partners, stake holders and other internal/ external users
• Experience of building high quality solutions and leading processes in the Agile working
environment; understanding of Visual studio (VSTS)
• Proven experience working with Oil, gas and energy markets is desirable but not essential
• Experience working with Tableau is preferable but not essential
• Understanding of cloud-based services is desirable, preferably AWS, but not essential
• Experience working with Unified analytics platforms like Databricks is beneficial